Saturday, May 29, 2010

Long time since I've written......

My last post was on May 5th I believe! I can't believe its been almost a month since I've written anything.  That just goes to show you how intense school has been for me.  I'm sure no one is missing my boring posts but for the moment, it feels good to release the past month into words.

As for school, as of this VERY moment I am passing all of my classess.  I am right on the line (just over) in most of them, which means it will all come down to my final exams in 2 weeks.  I am still holding out hope that I can make this happen and end up becoming a SECOND term Nursing student!! thats the goal anyways.  Today was our last day of clinicals at the hospital for the quarter and after 8 weeks there, it was a little tough to say goodbye.....but also very relieving.  Every day I showed up there I was nervous, throughout my time there I did eventually begin to get the hang of things.  I had the BEST clinical instructor EVER....Thank you Emily! she really taught me SO much and I am so glad she was my first for clinical rounds.  I've seen and learned a lot these past 8 weeks at St. Joseph's Mercy Oakland Pontiac - Unit 4G (SJMO).  Our unit was a medical Oncology unit so I had many patients who were either undergoing treatment for cancer or were in their final moments with Mercy Hospice Care.  I think I saw the entire gammet of cancer treatment.  We had a patient that was 2 days from the discovery of a brain tumor, I personally had 3 patients that were undergoing current chemotherapy and/or radiation, I have had 2 patients that were in remission and 1 patient that sadly died at the end of my shift.  I believe this was a good experience for me being on a Med Onc unit first time around because it was a test of who I am really am inside and if I can really work with cancer patients. 

As for my personal life, things have been ok.  I still have my terriby sad moments when I think about Boo and everything we went through.  I think about all the sacrafices we (and he mostly) had to make.  I think about all the laughter we shared and the special love that was only ours.  I think about his smile and he always could turn my bad days around.  I will always think of him and miss him.  I am grateful to his famliy for taking care of me.  His mom and Kirk in particular have really been there for me these past few weeks and I will be forever grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment