Saturday, April 3, 2010

I am not looking forward to today.....

Today I am going with my brother in law Kirk (Brett's twin) to pick up Brett's remains from the Cremation Society of Michigan.  Along with his remains, I will be getting my certified copies of his death certificate.  I'm not sure which bothers me more.....driving home with my husband in a box or looking at his death paperwork.  Lets just say I'm really not looking forward to this.  I am well aware of the reality of his death but something about having an official piece of paper on it scares the shit out of me.  I will now have in my possession both his birth certificate and death certificate.  What the fuck? thats just not right or fair. 

I can not believe how long these 9 days have felt like.  It seriously feels like a million years since I've seen his smile, kissed his lips, gotten a big bear hug (he was so skinny but he always gave the BEST hugs).  I feel like time has literally stopped.  Now its April and the weather is getting warmer and all I can think about is how Brett and I would be walking the dogs everyday together.  Shortly before he died, we took the pups on a long walk and I keep replaying that moment in  my head.  I keep seeing him standing there by the trees with a big smile on his face.  What the fuck happened? it all disappeared so quickly.  I can't stress enough to everyone reading this how short life is.  Even though Brett had cancer so death was a little more of a reality to us than most, it can still happen to anyone at anytime.  Of course I hope it doesnt happen but please be aware that anyday.....things can change forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment